Time-slip novel set in GUERNSEY
#TFBookClub reads “Court of Lions” set in GRANADA, SPAIN
17th December 2017
#TFBookClub January/February 2018
Our first five outings for the #TFBookClub have seen us travel the world with our noses in a book:
- We have so far been #OnLiteraryLocation with Rosanna Ley’s The Little Theatre By The Sea (SARDINIA)
- We have explored the sense of history in PRAGUE, reading Prague Nights by Benjamin Black
- We have been on a real adventure to CENTRAL AMERICA with Maile Meloy’s Do Not Become Alarmed
- We have been immersed in an intense relationship between two female writers in Exquisite by Sarah Stovell, set in NORTHUMBERLAND and the LAKE DISTRICT,
- And most recently we have met Harriet Steel’s Inspector de Silva in 1930s CEYLON (now SRI LANKA), experiencing Trouble in Nuala.
Our new #TFBookClub outing is to exotic GRANADA in historical ANDALUCIA, near the southern tip of SPAIN.
In Jane Johnson’s Court of Lions, Kate Fordham, escaping terrible trauma, has fled to the beautiful sunlit city of Granada, the ancient capital of the Moors in Spain. Here, she is scraping by with an unfulfilling job in a busy bar. One day in the glorious gardens of the Alhambra, once home to Sultan Abu Abdullah Mohammed, also known as Boabdil, Kate finds a scrap of paper hidden in one of the ancient walls. Upon it, in strange symbols, has been inscribed a message from another age. It has lain undiscovered since before the Fall of Granada in 1492, when the city was surrendered to Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand. Born of love, in a time of danger and desperation, the fragment will be the catalyst that changes Kate’s life forever.
An epic saga of romance and redemption, Court of Lions brings one of the great turning-points in history to life, telling the stories of a modern woman and the last Moorish sultan of Granada, as they both move towards their cataclysmic destinies.
Apply for a copy to read along:
If you would like to apply for a copy to read along with us during January and early February 2018, just leave a COMMENT below and tell us whether you prefer paper (UK only) or digital or either – by midnight, 31st December 2017. The first names out of the hat on MONDAY 1st January 2018 (or close to then!) will be sent copies of the book. After that we can all start turning the pages and share our thoughts over the subsequent weeks.
We will be in touch at the beginning of January if you are one of our lucky readers! Don’t forget, applications close midnight, 31st December 2017!
Andrew and Tina for the TripFiction team
Do come and join team TripFiction on Social Media: