FLASH midweek TripFiction GIVEAWAY
The #TFBookClub reads ‘The Night Tiger’ set in 1930s Malaya
20th February 2020
#TFBookClub March/April 2020. ‘The Night Tiger’ set in 1930s colonial Malaya
Our latest #TFBookClub outing takes us to colonial MALAYA in the 1930s, with The Night Tiger by Yangsze Choo.
In 1930s colonial Malaya, a dissolute British doctor receives a surprise gift of an eleven-year-old Chinese houseboy. Sent as a bequest from an old friend, young Ren has a mission: to find his dead master’s severed finger and reunite it with his body. Ren has forty-nine days, or else his master’s soul will roam the earth forever.
Ji Lin, an apprentice dressmaker, moonlights as a dancehall girl to pay her mother’s debts. One night, Ji Lin’s dance partner leaves her with a gruesome souvenir that leads her on a crooked, dark trail.
As time runs out for Ren’s mission, a series of unexplained deaths occur amid rumours of tigers who turn into men. In their journey to keep a promise and discover the truth, Ren and Ji Lin’s paths will cross in ways they will never forget.
Captivating and lushly written, The Night Tiger explores the rich world of servants and masters, ancient superstition and modern ambition, sibling rivalry and unexpected love. Woven through with Chinese folklore and a tantalizing mystery, this novel is a page-turner of the highest order.
Apply for a copy to read along:
> If you would like to apply for a copy to read along with us during March and early April 2020, just leave a COMMENT below and tell us whether you prefer PAPER or DIGITAL or EITHER – by midnight 29th February 2020. UK ONLY. The first names out of the hat on Sunday 1st March 2020 will be sent copies of the book. After that we can all start turning the pages and share our thoughts over the subsequent weeks.
> Please also sign up to become a member of TripFiction if you are not already. Simply click on this link and scroll down until you get to the JOIN NOW tab.
We will be in touch if you are one of our lucky readers, and hopefully you’ll receive your copy of the book early in March. Don’t forget, applications close midnight, 29th February 2020!
- We have been #OnLiteraryLocation in SARDINIA with Rosanna Ley’s The Little Theatre By The Sea
- We have explored the sense of history in PRAGUE, reading Prague Nights by Benjamin Black
- We have been on a real adventure to CENTRAL AMERICA with Maile Meloy’s Do Not Become Alarmed
- We have been immersed in an intense relationship between two female writers in Exquisite by Sarah Stovell, set in NORTHUMBERLAND and the LAKE DISTRICT,
- We have met Harriet Steel’s Inspector de Silva in 1930s CEYLON (now SRI LANKA), experiencing Trouble in Nuala
- We have time-travelled to exotic GRANADA in historic ANDALUCIA SPAIN with Jane Johnson’s Court of Lions
- We have dived into the beautiful CYCLADES in GREECE with Hannah Fielding’s Aphrodite’s Tears
- We have returned to CEYLON (now SRI LANKA) with The Sapphire Widow by Dinah Jefferies
- We have gone west to CORNWALL with One Cornish Summer by Liz Fenwick
- We travelled to NORWAY, SCOTLAND and FRANCE with The Sixteen Trees of the Somme by Lars Mytting
- We were in wintry WALES with dark crime thriller Halfway by B. E. Jones
- We endured a bitter winter and murder in SWEDEN with Red Snow, another Tuva Moodyson Mystery from author Will Dean
- We have toured the artistic world – to LONDON, NEW YORK CITY, ROME & the SOUTH OF FRANCE – with The Italian Teacher by Tom Rachman.
- We journeyed to IRELAND to smile at Future Popes of Ireland by Darragh Martin
- We explored old friendships in MALLORCA with Fanny Blake’s A Summer Reunion
- We have been on a dark journey to Victorian BIRMINGHAM with The Conviction of Cora Burns, Carolyn Kirby’s exquisitely crafted debut novel
- We have looked at A Map of the Sky through the eyes of young Kit, in this enchanting novel by Claire Wong set in YORKSHIRE
- And most recently we have been on an investigation with detective Karim Belkacem to MARRAKECH, Morocco for A Death in the Medina by James von Leyden
Andrew and Tina for the TripFiction team
Do come and join team TripFiction on Social Media: