TripFiction’s top 10 books of 2018
#TFBookClub reads ‘Halfway’ set in WALES
22nd October 2018
#TFBookClub November/December 2018
Our first ten outings for the #TFBookClub have seen us travel the world, seeing different locations through the eyes of authors:
- We have so far been #OnLiteraryLocation in SARDINIA with Rosanna Ley’s The Little Theatre By The Sea
- We have explored the sense of history in PRAGUE, reading Prague Nights by Benjamin Black
- We have been on a real adventure to CENTRAL AMERICA with Maile Meloy’s Do Not Become Alarmed
- We have been immersed in an intense relationship between two female writers in Exquisite by Sarah Stovell, set in NORTHUMBERLAND and the LAKE DISTRICT,
- We have met Harriet Steel’s Inspector de Silva in 1930s CEYLON (now SRI LANKA), experiencing Trouble in Nuala
- We have time-travelled to exotic GRANADA in historic ANDALUCIA SPAIN with Jane Johnson’s Court of Lions
- We have dived into the beautiful CYCLADES in GREECE with Hannah Fielding’s Aphrodite’s Tears
- We have returned to CEYLON (now SRI LANKA) with The Sapphire Widow by Dinah Jefferies
- We have gone west to CORNWALL with One Cornish Summer by Liz Fenwick
- And most recently we travelled to NORWAY, SCOTLAND and FRANCE with The Sixteen Trees of the Somme by Lars Mytting
Our latest #TFBookClub outing takes us to WALES with crime thriller Halfway by B. E. Jones.
If everyone is lying, who can you trust?
The Halfway Inn is closed to customers, side-lined by a bypass and hidden deep in inhospitable countryside. One winter’s night, two women end up knocking on the door, seeking refuge as a blizzard takes hold.
But why is the landlord less than pleased to see them? And what is his elderly father trying so hard to tell them?
At the local police station PC Lissa Lloyd is holding the fort while the rest of her team share in the rare excitement of a brutal murder at an isolated farmhouse. A dangerous fugitive is on the run – but how can Lissa make a name for herself if she’s stuck at her desk? When a call comes in saying the local district nurse is missing, she jumps at the chance to investigate her disappearance.
The strangers at Halfway wait out the storm, but soon realise they might have been safer on the road. It seems not all the travellers will make it home for Christmas . .
Join us in reading Halfway to see if Lissa can unravel the dark mystery in a book that is getting rave reviews.
‘Didn’t see the twists coming and loved the layered approach to storytelling and believable characters.’
‘This has to be the one of most cleverly structured crime novels I’ve ever read! The intertwining of plot and characters is ingenious.’
Apply for a copy to read along:
If you would like to apply for a copy to read along with us during November and early December 2018, just leave a COMMENT below and tell us whether you prefer PAPER (UK only) or DIGITAL for world readers (via Netgalley) or EITHER – by midnight, 31st October 2018. The first names out of the hat on THURSDAY 1st November 2018 will be sent copies of the book. After that we can all start turning the pages and share our thoughts over the subsequent weeks.
We will be in touch at the beginning of November if you are one of our lucky readers! Don’t forget, applications close midnight, 31st October 2018!
Andrew and Tina for the TripFiction team
Do come and join team TripFiction on Social Media: