Time-slip novel set in GUERNSEY
#TFBookClub reads “The Sapphire Widow” set in CEYLON (SRI LANKA)
16th April 2018
#TFBookClub May/June 2018
Our first seven outings for the #TFBookClub have seen us travel the world, seeing different locations through the eyes of authors:
- We have so far been #OnLiteraryLocation in SARDINIA with Rosanna Ley’s The Little Theatre By The Sea
- We have explored the sense of history in PRAGUE, reading Prague Nights by Benjamin Black
- We have been on a real adventure to CENTRAL AMERICA with Maile Meloy’s Do Not Become Alarmed
- We have been immersed in an intense relationship between two female writers in Exquisite by Sarah Stovell, set in NORTHUMBERLAND and the LAKE DISTRICT,
- We have met Harriet Steel’s Inspector de Silva in 1930s CEYLON (now SRI LANKA), experiencing Trouble in Nuala.
- We have time-travelled to exotic GRANADA in historic ANDALUCIA SPAIN with Jane Johnson’s Court of Lions
- And most recently we have dived into the beautiful CYCLADES in GREECE with Hannah Fielding’s Aphrodite’s Tears
Our latest #TFBookClub outing is back to intriguing CEYLON (now SRI LANKA) in the 1930s, with The Sapphire Widow by Dinah Jefferies.
Ceylon, 1935. Louisa Reeve, the daughter of a successful British gem trader, and her husband Elliot, a charming, thrill-seeking businessman, seem like the couple who have it all. Except what they long for more than anything: a child.
While Louisa struggles with miscarriages, Elliot is increasingly absent, spending much of his time at a nearby cinnamon plantation, overlooking the Indian ocean. After his sudden death, Louisa is left alone to solve the mystery he left behind. Revisiting the plantation at Cinnamon Hills, she finds herself unexpectedly drawn towards the owner Leo, a rugged outdoors man with a chequered past. The plantation casts a spell, but all is not as it seems.
And when Elliot’s shocking betrayal is revealed, Louisa has only Leo to turn to…
Join us in reading The Sapphire Widow to find out what happens to Louisa.
Apply for a copy to read along:
If you would like to apply for a copy to read along with us during May and early June 2018, just leave a COMMENT below and tell us whether you prefer paper (UK only) or digital (via Netgalley) or either – by midnight, 30th April 2018. The first names out of the hat on TUESDAY 1st May 2018 will be sent copies of the book. After that we can all start turning the pages and share our thoughts over the subsequent weeks.
We will be in touch at the beginning of May if you are one of our lucky readers! Don’t forget, applications close midnight, 30th April 2018!
Andrew and Tina for the TripFiction team
Do come and join team TripFiction on Social Media: