Novel set in the Norfolk Broads
#TFBookClub reads ‘The Sixteen Trees of the Somme’ set in NORWAY, SCOTLAND and FRANCE
16th August 2018
#TFBookClub September/October 2018
#TFBookClub reads The Sixteen Trees of the Somme set in NORWAY, SCOTLAND and FRANCE.
Our first nine outings for the #TFBookClub have seen us travel the world, seeing different locations through the eyes of authors:
- We have so far been #OnLiteraryLocation in SARDINIA with Rosanna Ley’s The Little Theatre By The Sea
- We have explored the sense of history in PRAGUE, reading Prague Nights by Benjamin Black
- We have been on a real adventure to CENTRAL AMERICA with Maile Meloy’s Do Not Become Alarmed
- We have been immersed in an intense relationship between two female writers in Exquisite by Sarah Stovell, set in NORTHUMBERLAND and the LAKE DISTRICT,
- We have met Harriet Steel’s Inspector de Silva in 1930s CEYLON (now SRI LANKA), experiencing Trouble in Nuala
- We have time-travelled to exotic GRANADA in historic ANDALUCIA SPAIN with Jane Johnson’s Court of Lions
- We have dived into the beautiful CYCLADES in GREECE with Hannah Fielding’s Aphrodite’s Tears
- We have returned to CEYLON (now SRI LANKA) with The Sapphire Widow by Dinah Jefferies
- And most recently we have gone west to CORNWALL with One Cornish Summer by Liz Fenwick
Our latest #TFBookClub outing takes us from NORWAY to SCOTLAND and ultimately to the deathly battlefields of THE SOMME in FRANCE,with The Sixteen Trees of the Somme by Lars Mytting.
Edvard grows up on a remote mountain farmstead in Norway with his taciturn grandfather, Sverre. The death of his parents, when he was three years old, has always been shrouded in mystery – he has never been told how or where it took place and has only a distant memory of his mother.
But he knows that the fate of his grandfather’s brother, Einar, is somehow bound up with this mystery. One day a coffin is delivered for his grandfather long before his death – a meticulous, beautiful piece of craftsmanship. Perhaps Einar is not dead after all.
Edvard’s desperate quest to unlock the family’s tragic secrets takes him on a long journey – from Norway to the Shetlands, and to the battlefields of France – to the discovery of a very unusual inheritance. The Sixteen Trees of the Somme is about the love of wood and finding your own self, a beautifully intricate and moving tale that spans an entire century.
Join us in reading The Sixteen Trees of the Somme to find out what secrets Edvard uncovers in this beautifully crafted story.
Apply for a copy to read along:
If you would like to apply for a copy to read along with us during September and early October 2018, just leave a COMMENT below and tell us whether you prefer PAPER (UK only) or DIGITAL (via Netgalley) or EITHER – by midnight, 31st August 2018. The first names out of the hat on SATURDAY 1st September 2018 will be sent copies of the book. After that we can all start turning the pages and share our thoughts over the subsequent weeks.
We will be in touch at the beginning of September if you are one of our lucky readers! Don’t forget, applications close midnight, 31st August 2018!
Andrew and Tina for the TripFiction team
Do come and join team TripFiction on Social Media: