Talking Location With .. Venetia Welby – OKINAWA
The #TFBookClub reads ‘A Death in the Medina’ set in Marrakech
6th December 2019
#TFBookClub January/February 2020. ‘A Death in the Medina’ set in Marrakech
Our latest #TFBookClub outing takes us on an investigation with 24-year-old detective Karim Belkacem to MARRAKECH, Morocco, for A Death in the Medina by James von Leyden..
Death stalks the medina of Marrakech . . .
Marrakech, August. It is the start of Ramadan, the hottest in memory. Among the few foreigners left in the sweltering city are a riad owner, her French boyfriend and an English girl whose bag has been stolen after a hen weekend. At the local commissariat 24-year old detective Karim Belkacem is struggling to fast while holding down two jobs to pay for his sister’s wedding. On the day that the English girl comes to him for help, a Moroccan girl is found dead, her body dumped in a handcart. Investigating, Karim uncovers a world of shadowy predators and ancient secrets hidden behind the high walls of the medina.
‘Clever, captivating and colourful; an absorbing thriller rich in atmosphere’
‘Forget your Rough Guides and Lonely Planets – a couple of pages of Death in the Medina will plunge you into a world of bustling souks and sumptuous riads‘
Apply for a copy to read along:
If you would like to apply for a copy to read along with us during January and early February 2020, just leave a COMMENT below and tell us whether you prefer PAPER or DIGITAL or EITHER – by midnight 17th December 2019. UK ONLY. The first names out of the hat on Wednesday 18th December 2019 will be sent copies of the book. After that we can all start turning the pages and share our thoughts over the subsequent weeks.
We will be in touch if you are one of our lucky readers, and hopefully you’ll receive your copy of the book by the New Year! Don’t forget, applications close midnight, 17th December 2019!
Our first seventeen outings for the #TFBookClub have seen us travel the world, seeing different locations through the eyes of authors:
- We have been #OnLiteraryLocation in SARDINIA with Rosanna Ley’s The Little Theatre By The Sea
- We have explored the sense of history in PRAGUE, reading Prague Nights by Benjamin Black
- We have been on a real adventure to CENTRAL AMERICA with Maile Meloy’s Do Not Become Alarmed
- We have been immersed in an intense relationship between two female writers in Exquisite by Sarah Stovell, set in NORTHUMBERLAND and the LAKE DISTRICT,
- We have met Harriet Steel’s Inspector de Silva in 1930s CEYLON (now SRI LANKA), experiencing Trouble in Nuala
- We have time-travelled to exotic GRANADA in historic ANDALUCIA SPAIN with Jane Johnson’s Court of Lions
- We have dived into the beautiful CYCLADES in GREECE with Hannah Fielding’s Aphrodite’s Tears
- We have returned to CEYLON (now SRI LANKA) with The Sapphire Widow by Dinah Jefferies
- We have gone west to CORNWALL with One Cornish Summer by Liz Fenwick
- We travelled to NORWAY, SCOTLAND and FRANCE with The Sixteen Trees of the Somme by Lars Mytting
- We were in wintry WALES with dark crime thriller Halfway by B. E. Jones
- We endured a bitter winter and murder in SWEDEN with Red Snow, another Tuva Moodyson Mystery from author Will Dean
- We have toured the artistic world – to LONDON, NEW YORK CITY, ROME & the SOUTH OF FRANCE – with The Italian Teacher by Tom Rachman.
- We journeyed to IRELAND to smile at Future Popes of Ireland by Darragh Martin
- We explored old friendships in MALLORCA with Fanny Blake’s A Summer Reunion
- We have been on a dark journey to Victorian BIRMINGHAM with The Conviction of Cora Burns, Carolyn Kirby’s exquisitely crafted debut novel
- And most recently we have looked at A Map of the Sky through the eyes of young Kit, in this enchanting novel by Claire Wong set in YORKSHIRE
Andrew and Tina for the TripFiction team
Do come and join team TripFiction on Social Media: