Novel set in Gross Partsch, Germany (now Parcz, Poland)
#TFBookClub reads ‘The Conviction of Cora Burns’ set in BIRMINGHAM
20th August 2019
#TFBookClub September/October 2019
Our latest #TFBookClub outing takes us on a dark journey through Victorian BIRMINGHAM for The Conviction of Cora Burns by Carolyn Kirby..
‘To believe in her future, she must uncover her past….‘
Born in a gaol and raised in a workhouse, Cora Burns has always struggled to control the violence inside her.
Haunted by memories of a terrible crime, she seeks a new life working as a servant in the house of scientist Thomas Jerwood. Here, Cora befriends a young girl, Violet, who seems to be the subject of a living experiment. But is Jerwood also secretly studying Cora…?
‘This is an atmospheric and gripping novel about a determined young woman who strives to overcome the hardship and violence that plagues her and the dark, fractured memories which haunt her. With a gritty setting, and a fantastic historical and social context, The Conviction of Cora Burns explores themes of motherhood, mental illness, memories and the concept of nature versus nurture.’
Apply for a copy to read along:
If you would like to apply for a copy to read along with us during September and early October 2019, just leave a COMMENT below and tell us whether you prefer PAPER (UK only) or DIGITAL for world readers (via Netgalley) or EITHER – by midnight 31st August 2019. The first names out of the hat on Sunday 1st September 2019 will be sent copies of the book. After that we can all start turning the pages and share our thoughts over the subsequent weeks.
We will be in touch at the beginning of September if you are one of our lucky readers! Don’t forget, applications close midnight, 31st August 2019!
Our first fifteen outings for the #TFBookClub have seen us travel the world, seeing different locations through the eyes of authors:
- We have been #OnLiteraryLocation in SARDINIA with Rosanna Ley’s The Little Theatre By The Sea
- We have explored the sense of history in PRAGUE, reading Prague Nights by Benjamin Black
- We have been on a real adventure to CENTRAL AMERICA with Maile Meloy’s Do Not Become Alarmed
- We have been immersed in an intense relationship between two female writers in Exquisite by Sarah Stovell, set in NORTHUMBERLAND and the LAKE DISTRICT,
- We have met Harriet Steel’s Inspector de Silva in 1930s CEYLON (now SRI LANKA), experiencing Trouble in Nuala
- We have time-travelled to exotic GRANADA in historic ANDALUCIA SPAIN with Jane Johnson’s Court of Lions
- We have dived into the beautiful CYCLADES in GREECE with Hannah Fielding’s Aphrodite’s Tears
- We have returned to CEYLON (now SRI LANKA) with The Sapphire Widow by Dinah Jefferies
- We have gone west to CORNWALL with One Cornish Summer by Liz Fenwick
- We travelled to NORWAY, SCOTLAND and FRANCE with The Sixteen Trees of the Somme by Lars Mytting
- We were in wintry WALES with dark crime thriller Halfway by B. E. Jones
- We endured a bitter winter and murder in SWEDEN with Red Snow, another Tuva Moodyson Mystery from author Will Dean
- We have toured the artistic world – to LONDON, NEW YORK CITY, ROME & the SOUTH OF FRANCE – with The Italian Teacher by Tom Rachman.
- We journeyed to IRELAND to smile at Future Popes of Ireland by Darragh Martin
- And most recently we explored old friendships in MALLORCA with Fanny Blake’s A Summer Reunion
Andrew and Tina for the TripFiction team
Do come and join team TripFiction on Social Media: